- November 16, 2022
- Posted by: wellcoindustries
- Category: FRP/GRP Profiles
Fiberglass (FRP) handrails are mainly used on stairs or platforms. From the perspective of composition and structure, fiberglass handrails are very similar to fiberglass guardrails, and both use pultruded profiles as the main accessories. The difference between the two lies in the way they are combined.
Composition accessories of FRP handrails:
- Vertical strut
- Cross strut
- Connectors and Fasteners
Among them, the vertical braces and the cross braces can use the same FRP pultruded profile products, such as round tubes, square tubes, rectangular tubes, patterned tubes, etc. made of FRP. The vertical strut is the base frame structure of the FRP handrail, and the bottom is fixed with the base connector corresponding to the product type, and then reinforced with bolts. For example, if the vertical support rod uses a glass fiber-reinforced plastic round tube, then a circular base with the same diameter as the round tube can be used as a support. Then use expansion bolts to fix the base on the stairs.
In order to increase the strength of the vertical braces, it is necessary to install corresponding cross braces at the top and middle of the vertical braces, and the two can be connected with FRP profile accessories such as FRP tees or crosses.
The difference between FRP handrails and FRP guardrails:
It can be seen from the composition and accessories of the FRP handrail introduced above that the structure of the handrail is very similar to that of the FRP fence. In essence, the two belong to the same type of product, but the scope of use is different.
FRP handrails are mainly installed on FRP stairs, and there is a certain slope. The FRP guardrail is mainly used on the operating platform, and overall is relatively stable. When installing FRP handrails, because the handrails have an inclined angle, the connectors used need to be customized according to the inclined angle. The guardrail can use conventional 90° connectors.
How to install FRP handrails:
- Generally, for these products with relatively large overall size, such as stairs, handrails, and guardrails, the accessories that need to be used are generally transported to the construction site before installation. In order to improve the installation efficiency, the profile products can be cut and transported according to the corresponding drawings in advance.
- Before installing the FRP handrails, it is necessary to design the corresponding support points and support methods. For example, when installing the operation platform around the FRP centrifugal fan and purification tower, it is necessary to reserve the installation position of the handrails.
- In order to ensure the stability of the handrail, both bolt fastening and concrete pouring can be used for reinforcement. It also requires some reinforcements at the corners of the handrails.
Generally, FRP handrails are rarely used alone, and in most cases are used in conjunction with FRP operating platforms and stairs. For example, the FRP operating platform used in the electroplating industry not only uses handrails and stairs, but also FRP gratings and other products.